Cancer Support Community is pleased to announce the third annual Navigator of the Year Award recognizing outstanding patient-centered care provided to cancer survivors and their caregivers by oncology navigators.
Please review the information below or download it here and submit your nomination.
Definition of Patient Navigator
Patient navigation in cancer care refers to specialized assistance for the community, patients, families, and caregivers in overcoming barriers to receiving care and facilitating timely access to clinical services and resources.
The navigation process may include, but is not limited to:
- Reducing barriers to care (which may include patient-centered, provider-centered, or health system-centered barriers) by:
- Assisting in accessing available resources to overcome barriers on-site or by formal referral, and/or
- Creatively helping with gaps in the available resources to overcome barriers
- Improving access to, and timeliness of, cancer services.
- Providing strong support and guidance for timely access to the cancer care system.
- Making the system clearer and increasing coordination among doctors.
- Helping patients and their loved ones understand their diagnosis and treatment plan options.
Nominations will be accepted from patients/survivors, caregivers, peers, supervisors, and colleagues who have worked directly with the navigator and experienced or observed benefits of the navigation process.
Nominations may be submitted through May 1st. Nominees will be recognized, and the winner will be announced, during Cancer Support Community’s Cancer Survivors Day celebration on May 20th, 2022
To be considered for this award, the following criteria must be met:
- Navigation services must have occurred within the last two years.
- Outstanding patient-centered care must have been provided with demonstrated outcomes.
The Navigator of the Year will be selected by a committee comprised of Cancer Support Community staff, members of Cancer Support Community’s Professional Advisory Board, and members of Cancer Support Community’s Board of Directors Committee.
The Navigator of the Year award will be presented at our major fundraising event, Night of Chocolate, on September 16, 2022. (Winner must be willing to be featured in a two-minute video that will be aired at the event.)